Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanks

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone, though I don't really consider it over until the Seattle marathon has been run. I joined some former Chuckit buddies Thanksgiving morning for a run at Discovery Park. For some of them it was only their first or second time to run here. That made me feel thankful for my trail running endeavors and where my training takes me, as this is one of my "in town" staples.

I got there early and ran one loop, expecting that they would be running the loop again, which would hold my mileage down to 5-6, on schedule for me. But a few were gung-ho to run to the beach, and I couldn't resist! It was such a gorgeous morning and the water was relatively calm, so I HAD to go to the beach. We were such a big group, and a bunch of folks from Brooks were also out there running, so I joked that next year there would be a race fee (all going to me, of course). A fellow from Toulous, France, joined us and he really smoked the trail. I asked him if he had heard of the Tour du Mont Blanc; of course he had. I thought he should consider it someday (he was only 23) and he kept saying no-no-no. I kept at it; hopefully I planted a seed in his head. :-)

After the run we headed over to Jim's house where I had some great smoothies and caught up on what was happening in people's lives. It was great to reconnect - I wish I could get them out on the trail more, but they are dedicated roadies and triathletes! I'm thankful to have those folks still there as I wander off into the woods....

Friday was a day at the marathon expo with Tracy. I picked up my race number for the half. There was a SNAFU where they never got my registration; I had signed up at JocknJill and fortunately they gave me a confirmation card in case this happened. Good thing as it had cost me $85 plus $15 to the charity (UWMC patient family housing). So after looking through all the races (full, half, and walks) I had to re-register, but for free (they attached my card to the registration). From now on, I'm signing up for all big races online, if that option is available. Anyway, after that we headed into the vendor show to get my race number and shirt and do some shopping. I saw lots of people, from trail runs, road runs and teaching ChiRunning. (I really hope we can swing a booth there next year. It wasn't as huge as Bloomsday, but it's pretty big.) Late, we headed up to Seattle Running Co., where Scott M. had put a Nathan Women's Intensity vest on hold for me. It fits much better than my old pack, which was designed for a man's torso, so I think I'll be pretty happy with it.

Today I will go to Farmer's Market with Donn, pick up some veggies for yummy burritos for tonight, figure out what to make for a potluck after the marathon tomorrow, and get ready. I am planning to run a 20 miler, with the half marathon in the middle. Compared to last year the weather looks pretty decent, though it's pretty cold. I am going to take it nice an easy - this is a training run with a bunch of friends.

What am I training for? Well, I had hoped to be able to run OP50, but may not be able to get in (I'm on the wait list). And I don't know if I'll be ready for it either, though I'd like to be ready if I can. So I decided I am training to be ready to do it, and have the benefit of being able to run other distances, and while at it, have FUN. For that, I am thankful. We don't know what's around the bend, so to be able to enjoy this moment is huge, and a lot to be thankful for!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it's the Tour du Mont Blanc that you're interested in then check out www.walkingthetmb.com - it's a must do hike : ) .