Thursday, June 26, 2008

Lessons from ultrarunning

On cancellation of Western States '08: Life is what happens when you're making other plans. There was another somewhat appropriate quote from Marat/Sade (it's Donn's favorite movie) where the Marquis de Sade is talking about the world falling apart and nature watches, unmoved. He goes on to say "I hate nature". Not exactly how I feel in that I don't hate Nature, but she sure doesn't take into account our hopes and plans when she does her thing. I'll have to watch that movie again and hope that I'm awake for that line.

On getting violently ill from food poisoning and recovering: Defizzed Coke is a wonder drug. My non-running boyfriend got me a Coke in the middle of the night and, upon my instructions, defizzed some for me to sip on. Someday, he'll make a great crew chief! And sipping Nuun today to rebalance the electrolytes is a good lesson too.

2 comments:

Journey to a Centum said...

Do you think we should cook this chicken or just eat it raw?

Yuck! I hate getting food poisoning!

Coke is the elixir of life!

Laura H said...

Sad thing is - no animals were harmed in the making of the food that poisoned me.

Favorite quote (about 8 hrs prior to another food poisoning event): "Here, have this cucumber. It's organic! My friend Jose brought them back from Mexico!"